Let us start our ride with Selenium Web Driver with Fundamental questions:
Break up the words – Web and Driver: Basically web driver is a thing which drives your browser to achieve your automated steps.
So How does Web Driver perform these:
WebDriver makes direct calls to the browser using each browser’s built in support for automation. Unlike Selenium RC it directly talks to your browser using drivers of respective browser(We will take a look in detail in later tutorials).
See the below illustration of Direct Talk.
Like any other communication needs a language selenium web driver also needs a language to talk to browser. And browser should understand that.
So here on further rides of web driver are intended to seekers who has basic knowledge on Java. Just brush up or revisit your Java programming basics before going further.
I would like to get our hands dirty believing that it is the perfect way of learning. Just practice and practice it.
- An IDE(Eclipse or IntelliJ whatever IDE you are comfortable at).
- Download Selenium Jars from https://selenium-release.storage.googleapis.com/index.html. Preferably 3.7 or 3.8. Do not take the beta(or Latest released) version rather pickup stable version.
- Download browser drivers depending the browser you want to run your scripts on:
- Chrome: https://chromedriver.storage.googleapis.com/index.html . Pick up the version depending on your browser version. Pick the latest drivers so that it will be compatible with latest chrome browser version.(Download respective OS driver)
- Firefox : https://chromedriver.storage.googleapis.com/index.html . Pick up the version depending on your browser version. Pick the latest drivers so that it will be compatible with latest chrome browser version.(Download respective OS driver).
And the drivers mentioned are not developed by Selenium HQ, those are all developed by third party.
Download and install all prerequisites.